Souper Easy Supper
Who couldn't use an easy supper recipe, and nothing warms you up heart and soul on a cold winter evening like tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. This is also a great make-ahead dinner. It keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week, and it also freezes well. You can use an immersion blender in place of the food processor. It works just as well, and saves time in clean-up.
• 4 C. chopped, peeled and seeded tomato (about 4 large)
• 4 C. low-sodium tomato juice
• 1/3 c. fresh basil leaves
• 1 C. 1% low-fat milk
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
• 1/2 C. (4 oz.) low-fat cream cheese, softened
• Basil leaves, thinly sliced
Bring tomatoes and juice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Place tomato mixture and basil in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add cream cheese and whisk until blended. Cover and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes).