Quick Chicken and Corn Chowder
• 2 tbs. butter
• ¼ c. chopped onion
• ¼ c. chopped celery
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
• 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
• 3 c. reduced fat milk
• 2 tbs. shopped roasted chicken breasts (I use a rotisserie chicken)
• 1 ½ c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 1 tsp. chopped fresh or ¼ tsp dried thyme
• ¼ tsp. ground red pepper
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• 1 14.5 oz. can cream-style corn
Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and jalapeno, and cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook until thick (about 5 minutes).
I like to set out a variety of toppings to choose from, including green onions, sliced jalapenos, corn chips, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, crumbled bacon, and tomatillo salsa.