Lasagna Soup - from Dreams of Her Own
• 1 pound ground chuck or Italian sausage (or ½ # each)
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped
• 1 small container sliced mushrooms
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
• 1 (32-ounce) box chicken or beef broth
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced fire roasted tomatoes
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced garlic and oregano tomatoes
• 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
• 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 small sliced zucchini
• 1 cup frozen spinach (could be fresh)
• 2 cups broken lasagna or rotini noodles
• 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (if you plan to bake it)
In a large Dutch oven, combine meat, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft.
Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add sliced zucchini and spinach. Return to a boil. Add noodles, return to a boil and then simmer until noodles are tender. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, at the very end.
Serve or follow next steps (next steps also great for rewarming):
Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls OR pour into 9x13 baking dish and evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Serve with garlic bread and salad.